Is Duct Cleaning Necessary?
Your ductwork and HVAC system are some of the hardest working appliances in your home, but also some of the most forgotten. Operating quietly in the ceilings and walls, most people often forget about this piece of machinery. However, taking care of your ductwork is extremely important for your health, comfort and for your wallet. So how do you know when, and if, duct cleaning is necessary for your home?
Consider having your air ducts cleaned if:
- There is visible, substantial mold growth on your heating system’s components, such as on the sheet metal of ducts or along seams of duct work.
Note: Ensure that this is mold, and not just a bit of dirt of grime. Also, check if the area is getting or staying wet. If exterior insulation gets wet, it may be able to be effectively cleaned, removed or replaced. However, if the mold is on the inside, in duct work or in places close to your living areas, this could be cause for concern. Also, ensure that the conditions causing mold growth are corrected, such as leaks or condensation gathering.
- Ducts are infested with vermin, such as rodents or insects. This is something that a homeowner alone cannot correct, and usually requires professional assistance.
- Ducts are clogged with excessive amounts of dust and debris, or you notice debris and particles are being released into your home.
So how do you know if your home falls into these categories? While some of these may be easier to spot than others (such as an infestation of vermin) others, such as mold in duct work or clogged ducts, may not be easy to spot without a professional’s help. Here are a few warning signs that might mean your home is more susceptible to dirty ducts:
- Your HVAC system is handling pets or a bunch of people living in your home.
If those in your home are releasing more dander and debris, chances are, your HVAC system is working harder to keep the air clean. This could include multiple pets, lots of people or other living situations that might have more debris (got a couple of young boys that love to track in all sorts of outdoor dirt and dander?)
- You live in an area with high humidity.
For those of us who live in Hawaii, we know it can get humid! While we love living here for the beautiful weather, it can also cause some problems. High humidity and frequent moisture mean that molds and mildews can grow more easily in all parts of our homes.
- Those in your home have medical conditions exacerbated by dust and debris.
If someone in your home has conditions such as serious allergies, asthma or lung issues, the cleaner the air, the better. While this is not necessarily a sign of dirty ducts, it is a sign that someone in your home is more susceptible to health conditions if ducts are dirty, a good reason to stay on top of duct cleaning.
Benefits Of Duct Cleaning
The air ducts and vents in your home do a lot of work, cleaning, filtering, heating and cooling air, and then cycling it through your home. Most of this is done quietly, out of sight and out of mind. However, like any piece of machinery in your home, the HVAC system and ductwork needs to be properly maintained. If you neglect duct cleaning too long, there can be some dire consequences, such as:
- Mold and Mildew – as mentioned above, mold and mildew are some of the main problems that come with dirty ductwork, especially those vents with insulation or near external areas where water or condensation can build up. Because the job of the duct work is to move air throughout your home, if you have mold and mildew in one area, your duct work will blow it all over your home, spreading bad smells or potential health issues.
- Clogged Ducts
If dust and debris build up in the ducts, they could get clogged. This lowers the efficiency of the machinery, causing it to work harder, which may shorten its life and cost you money in the long run.
Moisture, dust and debris are all prime breeding grounds for pests, such as cockroaches, rats or other rodents or insects.
- Higher bills
The bottom line is that neglecting your ductwork can cost you money. Whether you must pay additional fees for pest or mold removal, or for a replacement furnace after yours is forced to work too hard to overcompensate for clogs, the costs add up. Performing regular maintenance is cheaper and will save you in the long run.
Are you ready to schedule your duct cleaning or regular service? Contact the team at Airpro Indoor Air Solutions today to schedule your appointment.
Give Us A Call For Your Hawaii HVAC Needs!